A little about history of OOP, its motivation, and core concepts.
In recent years, Entity-Component Systems (ECS) has been recognized as the most notable architecture for game development. There are many good articles about the architecture that can be found on the Internet, some of them are:
- Entity Systems are the future of MMOG development
- What is an entity system framework for game development?
- Why use an entity system framework for game development?
- Understanding Component-Entity-Systems
- Entity Systems Wiki
- Entity component system [Wikipedia]
Of course these articles are excellent and well-written, but one thing I don’t like about them is that they are not fair at comparing OOP and ECS. They think that class inheritance is fundamental to OOP thus they blame OOP in order to praise ECS as a preference of composition over inheritance.